Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Linux Web Applications

 Bottom Line:  This gives a quick intro to Web Application Manager for Linux and a link to where I have stored a .deb file for easy installation. 

Short post, but wanted to give a shout out to the programmers of the ICE SSB and Web Applications application for Linux.   The Web Application app that was just released for Linux Mint works great in Ubuntu also.  This Application has fundamentally changed my work flow for the better.  

Previously, I would have a tone of apps in tabs in my browser... but switching between was always frustrating because I had to first go to browser, find the right window, then find the right tab.  Pined tabs helped, but splitting a workflow between a task bar and a browser tab bar is frankly not helpful.

The Web Application version released for Linux Mint builds on the Linux PeppermintOS ICE SSB app by resolving my largest issue with webapps to date:  the icons all looked the same.  The Web Application Manager app has solved that as well as expanded which browsers are supported, assigning webapp to menu category, making isolated sessions, etc.  I love it!  Here is a screen shot of several web applications (using Chromium as isolated back end because it has window decorations).  Notice they all have a icon in the task bar.




Here is a link for a deb of the 1.1.0 version of the Web Application app.  It installs on Ubuntu 20.10. I posted the file I made to one of my OLD projects on Sourceforge so you know where the link will take you.

There are several excellent articles out there that give a good run down on this application.   

I have been using for a bit and it resolves some big issues with the ICE SSB.  Most notably was that he Ice SSB gave the same ICON to all web applications, which wasn't helpful.  This one does a great job of taking and maintaining app specific icons.

It supports several browsers.  I find I like Chromium / Chrome the best simply because it provides a titlebar.  Firefox does not which makes naviation / movement / resize a little less intitive.  Still nice if you remember to use the SUPER key with left, center, right clicks/drags to move, resize and pull up window menu.  I do prefer firefox for an app I want to use full screen with no loss of space to titlebar / tabs such as youtube, youtube music, etc...


Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment